Thursday, February 10, 2011

Remembering Mimi

Almost seven years ago I married my best friend. I had known my now husband for ten years before we were married, but it wasn't until we were engaged that I met his grandmother. I was immediately embraced by Mimi and we almost instantly bonded over our craftiness. Mimi knew how to do everything crafty. Knit, crochet, sew, embroider, cross-stitch, and so much more. She was thrilled to learn that I could crochet and offered to teach me to knit. I, unfortunately, didn't take her up on the offer before she passed away.



Now, over two years after her death I can knit. I'm not fabulous, but I can knit, purl, cable, and more. An even greater gift is that her husband invited all of his daughters, granddaughters, and in laws to pick items from her World's Best craft room. I picked out some craft books, and a few other notions.


But the best gift of all has been finding her notes on the items she created. Seeing her handwriting and knowing how happy and proud she is of me for attempting these same projects means the world to me. It often leads to daydreams about how life could have been if we had lived closer and I had taken the opportunity to learn to knit from her skilled hands.

 

From a gift for her last born grandchild. The magazine she found the book with a pattern in, the book the pattern was in, a photocopy of the page with a few notes, her graph paper interpretation of the pattern, the receipt for the book, the handwritten receipt for the yarn, and the register printed receipt.


A cross stitch pattern for a pillow she made for my sister-in-law.
 

She kept samples of everything she made.

Thanks Mimi!

1 comment:

  1. Ohmygoodness, who is that little person in purple on her lap? I don't recognize her!

    Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete