Tuesday, October 26, 2010

(Not So Sweet) Trick or Treat Bags


Wednesday is the preschool's Halloween party and parade for M and I. The class is made up of 2-3 year olds, and I just couldn't send a bag of candy for the kids. I know- I'll probably be the mom giving out toothbrushes and apples in a few years, but come on- they are 3! So this is my quick and easy, but not sweet, trick or treat bags.

I used felt, because that is what I had, but you could use any fabric to make these cute bags. Just make sure you fold the top down twice if you aren't using felt. I have a good collection of felt from this phase I went through making everything from the "Cute Stuff" by Aranzi Aronzo books.   They are a ton of fun, but I ran out of time since I borrowed them from the library. Anyhow- my husband is ALWAYS on me to use my fabric and not buy new, so he will love this project. I made six bags strictly using my leftover fabric.

This is REALLY quick and easy, so don't blink.

You will need:
Black felt 12 inches by 7 inches
2 pieces 12 inches long of about 1 inch orange grossgrain ribbon
Small amount of white felt for the ghosts- I used about a 4 by 4 inch piece each
Black fabric marker to make the face.
Ghost pattern

I found a cute ghost applique by googling for "cute ghost applique", I printed it, cut it out, and used it as my ghost pattern. It turned out pretty cute.

First, trace the ghost pattern onto a piece of felt and cut it out. Draw a face on the ghost. Fold the piece of black fabric in half to see where you want to place the ghost. Keep in mind you will be folding the top in a half inch to make the handles. Than use your machine to sew the ghost onto the felt.

Fold both short sides of the black felt in half an inch. Tuck the ribbon into the fold, and than bring it over the fold and pin. (Note the first picture below has the handles folded in, but you will want to sew with it folded over and out the top. See the second photo below). Make sure the ribbon doesn't twist and repeat on all four corners, leaving about an inch from the corner. Than sew both sides.

Fold the black felt in half, right sides facing with handles poking out of the top. Sew a line down the two sides of the bag.

Finally, turn right side out and stuff with your goodies.
I found bubbles, kalidescopes, notepads, stickers, and stick-on earings for the kids from Target and Michael's, but you COULD fill with candy too.
 

1 comment: